Lyndigo Spice’s line of products are full of flavor with a spicy attitude! Offering small batch, locally made, all-natural, preservative free chutneys, relishes, fruit spreads and spice rubs. All products are in low sugar, low in sodium, fat free, vegan and packed with flavor from locally sourced ingredients with spices and herbs sourced from Fair Trade suppliers. It’s founder is Celeste Croxton. …read more
The Walsh administration’s first Workforce Profile Report contained few surprises. Released last week, the report underscored the challenges the city faces in maintaining a workforce that mirrors the city’s majority-minority population. While whites make up 46 percent of Boston’s population, they hold 58 percent of city jobs. Blacks, Latinos and Asians are underrepresented in the higher-paying jobs in city government. …read more
Specializing in southern cooking, Down Home has grown since its start in 2009 so that the vision its co-owners, the husband and wife pair of Gary Webster and Gale Scott, started with is now coming to fruition. …read more
A New York City mother has been arrested and charged after authorities found her locked inside the restroom of a busy Manhattan restaurant with her unconscious 1-year-old boy.
The boy, identified as Gavriel Ortiz-Fisher, was foaming at the mouth when he was recovered and later died, police said. The woman, 35-year-old Latisha Fisher, was arrested at the 5 Boro Burger at 976 Avenue of the Americas after a restaurant worker went to check on her, used a key to enter the bathroom, and stumbled upon the grisly scene.
According to the New York Times, an employee of the restaurant attempted to perform CPR on the toddler, but Fisher blocked him. She was taken to the Midtown South Precinct station, where she reportedly told authorities the devil made her do it, the NY Daily News reports.
“I would describe her as soulless,” a law enforcement official said when asked if the mom seemed distraught. “She put her hand over his mouth and smothered him.”
Police are continuing their investigation to uncover a motive, but family members and those familiar with Fisher said there were no signs that she would commit a murder.
The New York Police Department officer cleared in Eric Garner‘s chokehold death is being sued over a 2010 car crash that left a man with “severe and permanent” injuries, reports the New York Daily News.
The officer, Daniel Pantaleo, was recently named as a defendant in a civil suit filed in Queens Supreme Court against the department, charging that the officer crashed a police vehicle into another man’s car on Staten Island on June 20, resulting in “severe and permanent” injuries to the victim’s neck, back, left shoulder, and knee.
According to the New York Daily News:
Leonardo Aguirre claims that Pantaleo was speeding and following him too closely in his 2010 Chevrolet when the two got into an accident about 15 minutes away from the cop’s 120th Precinct stationhouse, according to legal papers filed with the city…
The Friday afternoon collision occurred just weeks before the officer prompted a national outcry about police tactics after he was caught in a video — first published by the Daily News — putting the unarmed Garner in a chokehold during an arrest for selling loose cigarettes on July 17.
Garner’s death sparked ongoing protests against police violence in the Black community, which ramped up in the fall after a Staten Island grand jury failed to indict Pantaleo in the death that was ruled a homicide by the medical examiner.
On a street lined with triple-deckers near Dorchester’s Ronan Park, a crowd of about 40 people gathered last week outside Maria Baptista’s house as the sun set to stage a protest against the foreclosure of her home and her ongoing eviction process. …read more
For an Arizona father, what he first described as the “best day” of his life quickly took a turn for the worse when his wife died of blood loss during childbirth on Jan. 16.
Now, 29-year-old Carlos Morales is journeying into fatherhood without the love of his life and gearing up to care for his quadruplet infants alone.
“I went from having the best day of my life to the next morning experiencing the worst day of my life,” said Morales. “My four babies came into the world and then my wife died.”
The tiny two and three-pound babies, a boy he named Carlos Jr. and three girls — Tracey, Paisley, and Erica (named after her mother) — were all healthy, Morales said. He’s been taking baby-caring classes at a local hospital to prepare for fatherhood times four, PEOPLE reports.
“I’m learning everything from how to give them a bath, CPR, feeding, and how to manage their sleep schedule,” he says. “I need to be prepared.”
“Everything I do now is for my children,” Carlos, who will return to work, tells PEOPLE. “Our family and friends have been very supportive too.”
And though wife Erica wasn’t able to hold her babies — who she gave birth to via cesarean section at seven months — she did leave a blueprint behind on how she would like her children to be raised. Just recently, the new father found a note Erica had written on her iPad full of dreams for her children. She wants them all to go to college. She wants them to speak both English and Spanish. And she wants them to all have good jobs.
That’s a blueprint Morales hopes to follow in honor of his late love.”I will try my hardest to make sure that happens,” he says.
A Pennsylvania Supreme Court nominee withdrew his name for the seat Monday after coming under fire for a racially insensitive 2013 Facebook image he forwarded to colleagues, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Republican Judge Thomas K. Kistler (pictured), president judge in Centre County since 2012, was nominated late last year by Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf to fill a vacancy on the state’s supreme court. The seat will now remain open until elections in November, the report notes.
The Philadelphia Inquirer reports:
The Inquirer reported Friday concern from legislators and others over an e-mail sent in December 2013 by Kistler titled “Merry Christmas From the Johnsons.” The message depicted a Black man and a Black woman during what appears to be a jail visit. The man, smiling and wearing an orange prison uniform, sits behind a glass window.
NEW YORK (AP) — The family of a comedian killed in the New Jersey Turnpike crash that seriously injured Tracy Morgan last summer has settled a wrongful death claim.
The out-of-court settlement between Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and the estate of James McNair is the first stemming from the June 7 crash in which a Wal-Mart truck slammed into a limo van carrying Morgan and others home from a show in Delaware.
Morgan, the former “Saturday Night Live” and “30 Rock” star, suffered a traumatic brain injury in the accident, according to his lawyer. Criminal charges against truck driver Kevin Roper are pending in state court in New Jersey.
McNair, 62, of Peekskill, grew up with Morgan in Brooklyn and was a friend and mentor to him over the years.
The terms of the settlement are confidential, but McNair family attorney Daryl Zaslow told The Associated Press that they were pleased with the outcome.
Wal-Mart “caused extensive damage” to the family but accepted responsibility and “more than stepped up to the plate and took care of this family,” Zaslow said.
“Ultimately they did the right thing by the McNairs,” he said.
Wal-Mart spokeswoman Brooke Buchanan said the company was working toward settlements with others injured in the accident.
“We know there is nothing we can do to change what happened to Mr. McNair,” Buchanan said. “We’re committed to doing what’s right.”
In an interview with the AP on Wednesday, McNair’s children — Denita, 19, and Jamel, 26 — described their father as a humble, grounded man. They said he attained a level of fame but cared less about the trappings of celebrity than about helping others, whether through advice to young comedians or giving out free Thanksgiving turkeys to needy families in his hometown.
“You don’t have to be a celebrity to make a difference in a lot of people’s lives,” …read more