Minneapolis Officer Charged In Shooting Australian Woman

March 20, 2018 bcic_admin 0

Officer Mohamed Noor

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A Minneapolis police officer who shot and killed an Australian woman in July turned himself in Tuesday after a warrant was issued for his arrest, his attorney said. A jail roster said he was held on third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter charges.

Officer Mohamed Noor shot Justine Ruszczyk Damond, a 40-year-old life coach on July 15 minutes after she called 911 to report a possible sexual assault in the alley behind her home. Damond’s death drew international attention, cost the police chief her job and forced major revisions to the department’s policy on body cameras.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman, planned a Tuesday afternoon news conference to discuss the charges.
Noor has not spoken publicly about the case. His attorney, Thomas Plunkett, confirmed Noor turned himself in, but had no other immediate comment.

A policeman who was with Noor at the time of the shooting, Matthew Harrity, told investigators that he was startled by a loud noise right before Damond approached the driver’s side window of their police SUV. Harrity, who was driving, said Noor then fired his weapon from the passenger seat. Damond died of a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

The officers did not turn on their body cameras until after the shooting, and there was no squad camera video of the incident.

The lack of video was widely criticized, and Damond’s family members were among the many people who called for changes in procedure, including how often officers are required to turn on their cameras.

The shooting also prompted questions about the training of Noor, a two-year veteran and Somali-American whose arrival on the force had been celebrated by city leaders and Minnesota’s large Somali community. Noor, 32, had trained in business and economics and worked in property management before becoming an officer.

Then-Chief Janee Harteau …read more

Nike Executive To Step Down After Inappropriate Behavior

March 20, 2018 bcic_admin 0

Nike Incorporated is investigating a case of improper conduct by one of it’s top executives after reviewing an incident of inappropriate behavior on the job.

Bloomberg.com reports that Trevor Edwards, the company president, is stepping down from his role at Nike August.

Greg Rossiter, a spokesman for the company says that, “there have been no direct allegations against the 55-year-old.”

An internal memo sent to employees about Edwards leaving the company, it addressed reports of, “behavior occurring within our organization that do not reflect our core values of inclusively, respect and empowerment.”

Upon his exit, Edwards will receive a $525,000 payout. He was slated to become the next Chief Executive officer in the Nike corporation if not for his exit. He’ll receive his money in 2019 in monthly installments.

READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:

[ione_media_gallery id=”235679″ overlay=”true”]

  • Nike Executive To Step Down After Inappropriate Behavior
  • Denzel Washington To Receive New Dramatists’ Distinguished Achievement Award
  • Congressional Black Caucus Demands For The Austin Bombings To Be Classified As Terrorist Attacks

GET THE HOTTEST STORIES STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX:

Close

Thank you for subscribing! Please be sure to open and click your first newsletter so we can confirm your subscription.

Email

…read more

Ben Carson’s Team Fired One Of The Few Black Women Who Worked At HUD

March 20, 2018 bcic_admin 0

Dr. Ben Carson

At this point, Ben Carson is a national embarrassment. The scandals at the Department of Housing and Urban Development are endless. Last month, he was accused in a lawsuit by Helen Foster of demoting her for not approving extravagant office renovations. Then, Marcus Smallwood, the department’s director of records, wrote an email to Carson and other top officials, which was shared with The Guardian and read, “Helen Foster is not the only person at HUD that has been persecuted in this witch-hunt under your watch… She is the only person who has been brave enough to stand on principle and put her career, reputation, and livelihood on the line. The rest of us have operated in fear.”

We also can’t forget nearly $200,00 in office renovations, accusations of his family being too involved at HUD, emails proving he has lied and reports of Carson using taxpayer money for private planes. Now, The Guardian is reporting, Katrina Hubbard, an executive assistant and one of the few Black people who worked at HUD, was fired for reporting possible corruption and “misuse of public funds.” Hubbard told The Guardian, “I reported information about fraud, waste and abuse, and as a result I was retaliated against.”

The Guardian reported Hubbard “became a civil servant at HUD in September last year and worked as executive assistant to Johnson Joy, Hud’s chief information officer.” In addition, ” she discovered that Accel Corporation, a contractor that supplies Joy’s office with staff, was being systematically overpaid. Some Accel subcontractors were falsely classed in higher pay grades, she said, while some billed for days and hours they had not worked. Naved Jafry, one Accel subcontractor, resigned from the …read more

Congressional Black Caucus Demands For The Austin Bombings To Be Classified As Terrorist Attacks

March 20, 2018 bcic_admin 0

Authorities work on the scene of an explosion in Austin

The terror in Austin, Texas continues. As of now, there have been four bombing and a package that exploded overnight at a FedEx facility in Texas may have been in route to an address in Austin. The FBI claims they are all linked, CNN reported.

The first two explosions killed two Black people and injured another, as well as an elderly Hispanic woman. The victims in Sunday night’s blast were White and law enforcement hasn’t named a suspect or a motive. There are at least 27 hate groups in Texas, but officials have yet to call this an act of terrorism. However, Black caucus lawmakers are speaking out and demanding the Austin bombings be classified as “ongoing terrorist attacks.”

CNN reported that Homeland Security Committee Ranking Member Bennie Thompson, Congressional Black Caucus Chairman Cedric Richmond and Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security Ranking Member Sheila Jackson Lee said in a joint statement, “The community impacted is now under virtual house arrest and the entire city is posed to be in a state of fear — which can easily transition into panic. We cannot stand idly by while our communities are under attack. This has become a national security issue and the full investigative force of the federal government must be focused on stopping these attacks.”

Of course if the bomber is Muslim, the attack will instantly be labeled an act of terrorism. But if the bomber is white, like the terrorist who killed 58 people and 851 injured in Las Vegas, it’s suddenly a mental health issue.

Our current president has been a horrible leader on this tragedy. He hasn’t said a word. Maybe he is too concerned with storms …read more

Security Helps Urban Schools Avoid Mass Shootings

March 20, 2018 bcic_admin 0

DETROIT (AP) — Alondra Alvarez lives about five minutes from her high school on Detroit’s southwest side but she drives there instead of walking because her mother fears for her safety. Once the 18-year-old enters the building, her surroundings take on a more secure feel almost immediately as she passes through a bank of closely monitored metal detectors.

“My mom has never been comfortable with me walking to school. My mom is really scared of street thugs,” said Alvarez, who attends Western International.

As schools around the U.S. look for ways to impose tougher security measures in the wake of last month’s school shooting in Parkland, Florida, that left 17 people dead, they don’t have to look further than urban districts such as Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles and New York that installed metal detectors and other security in the 1980s and 1990s to combat gang and drug violence.

Security experts believe these measures have made urban districts less prone to mass shootings, which have mostly occurred in suburban and rural districts.

Officials in some suburban and rural school districts are now considering detectors as they rethink their security plans after the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, where 19-year-old former student Nikolas Cruz allegedly brought in a duffel bag containing an assault rifle and opened fire. He’s charged with 17 counts of first-degree murder and 17 counts of attempted murder.

The massacre has galvanized thousands of students around the country who walked out of their classrooms for 17 minutes — one for each Parkland victim — on March 14 to protest gun violence.

“I think urban schools are eons ahead. They’ve been dealing with violence a lot longer than suburban schools,” said Philip Smith, president of the National African American Gun Association.

During the mid-1980s, Detroit was one of the first districts in the nation to …read more

Man Who Killed Ex-Wife In California Mall Is Realtor To Hip-Hop Stars

March 20, 2018 bcic_admin 0

Kevin Crane, a luxury realtor accused of shooting his ex-wife to death in a stationary store on Saturday, has sold houses to some major players in hip-hop, The Blast reports.

(Facebook)

33-year-old Crane is currently in critical condition after he walked into the Thousand Oaks mall in Southern California and shot his 29-year-old ex-wife, Parisa Siddiqi, while she worked at a retail store. He then turned the gun upon himself but survived the shot.

(Instagram)

Crane is a realtor in Beverly Hills and he specializes in dealing with hip-hop clients. He represented Big Sean when the rapper bought Slash‘s old mansion, and he has also worked with Lil Twist.

He was reportedly scheduled to show Travis Scott a home last month but the rapper bailed because Kylie Jenner had gone into labor.

Crane was also in talks to be a part of a new reality show based on hip-hop stars moving to Los Angeles and buying luxury property.

Sources tell The Blast that Crane showed no signs of being emotionally unstable.

Crane and his late ex-wife have two children together. The investigation into the shooting is ongoing.

READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:

  • ‘Sex And The City’ Actress Cynthia Nixon Running For New York Governor
  • Little Known Black History Fact: Major General Gary M. Brito
  • Security Helps Urban Schools Avoid Mass Shootings

GET THE HOTTEST STORIES STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX:

Close

Thank you for subscribing! Please be …read more

Racist Screams At Black Flight Attendant

March 19, 2018 bcic_admin 0

It’s rough in the friendly skies. There have been countless reports of racism on airplanes, from Maxine Waters being stalked while onboard to a Black female doctor being ignored who was trying to help someone in need of medical assistance. However, with this latest incident, the airline may have gotten it right — and it wasn’t Delta or United.

According to multiple Spanish media outlets, a 70-year-old man boarded a Binter Canarias flight to La Palma at North Tenerife Airport. Witnesses claimed he made racist comments to the Black flight attendant. El Pais reported that the man said “I don’t want blacks around me!” It is not known why he he had this breakdown.

The racist was confronted by the plane’s captain, who ordered the man to leave, but he refused. Multiple security guards were called and the man eventually exited the plane without further incident. Watch the video below.

Thankfully, this man was properly handled. Delta and United could learn from Binter Canarias.

READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:

  • Facebook Data Whistleblower: ‘Fake News To The Next Level’
  • Vivica A. Fox Says Sex With 50-Cent Was Rated ‘PG-13′
  • Migos, Jamie Foxx, Drake Channel ‘Soul Train’ In New Music Video

GET THE HOTTEST STORIES STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX:

Close

Thank you for subscribing! Please be sure to open and click your first newsletter so we can confirm your subscription.

…read more

Mississippi Boy Shoots & Kills Teen Sister Over A Video Game

March 19, 2018 bcic_admin 0

Semiautomatic handgun

” data-medium-file=”https://ioneblackamericaweb.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/14549489455986.jpg?quality=99&strip=all&w=300&strip=all” data-large-file=”https://ioneblackamericaweb.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/14549489455986.jpg?quality=99&strip=all&w=1024&strip=all” src=”https://ioneblackamericaweb.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/14549489455986.jpg?w=707&quality=99&strip=all&h=504″ alt=”” width=”707″ height=”504″ srcset=”https://ioneblackamericaweb.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/14549489455986.jpg?w=707&quality=99&strip=all&h=504 707w, https://ioneblackamericaweb.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/14549489455986.jpg?w=1414&quality=99&strip=all&h=1008 1414w, https://ioneblackamericaweb.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/14549489455986.jpg?w=150&quality=99&strip=all&h=107 150w, https://ioneblackamericaweb.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/14549489455986.jpg?w=300&quality=99&strip=all&h=214 300w, https://ioneblackamericaweb.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/14549489455986.jpg?w=768&quality=99&strip=all&h=548 768w, https://ioneblackamericaweb.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/14549489455986.jpg?w=1024&quality=99&strip=all&h=730 1024w” sizes=”(max-width: 707px) 100vw, 707px”>

In Mississippi, A 13-year-old girl was shot and killed by her 9-year-old brother after fighting over a video game.

WTVA reports on Saturday, March 17, 2018 police officers came on the scene a little after 1 p.m.

The little boy grabbed a gun when his sister wouldn’t give him a video game controller. Sherriff Cecil Cantrell says the bullet went straight through the teenager’s brain.

When it happened, the mother was in another room attending to other kids. How the boy was able to get a gun is still unknown.

The girl was taken to Le Bonheur’s Children’s Hospital where she later died of her injuries. Her name was Dijonae White and she was a student at Tupelo Middle School.

The case is under investigation and consequences for the 9-year-old are unknown.

READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:

  • Facebook Data Whistleblower: ‘Fake News To The Next Level’
  • Vivica A. Fox Says Sex With 50-Cent Was Rated ‘PG-13′
  • Migos, Jamie Foxx, Drake Channel ‘Soul Train’ In New Music Video

GET THE HOTTEST STORIES STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX:

Close

Thank you for subscribing! Please be sure to open and click your first newsletter so we can confirm your subscription.

Email
…read more

Police Cancel The Roots’ Concert After Bomb Threat At SXSW

March 19, 2018 bcic_admin 0

The Roots

In Austin, TX police arrested a man responsible for a bomb threat that caused the cancellation of the The Roots’ performance at the South by Southwest Conference.

The Variety reports that 26-year-old Trevor Weldon Ingram sent an email to Live Nation Music on Saturday March, 17 explaining that a bomb was placed at the Fair Market venue.

Officers began searching the place only to find no threat. Even with no threat the sponsor, Bud Light, decided to cancel the performance for the public’s safety. The announcement was made once people gathered to see the show.

Police statements say that they, “able to identify and locate the suspect believed to be tied to this threat and at 11:08 p.m. a warrant was signed” for the arrest of Ingram. He was charged with third degree felony charges for making a terroristic threat.

That night, in tweets that were soon deleted after being up for 20 minutes, Roots’ drummer Questlove explained that the band’s cancelled performance was because of a, “severe emergency.”

If they had the chance to perform The Roots’ would have been joined by Ludacris, Jessie Reyez, Rapsody, Dermot Kennedy and Tank and the Bangas.

READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:

  • Facebook Data Whistleblower: ‘Fake News To The Next Level’
  • Vivica A. Fox Says Sex With 50-Cent Was Rated ‘PG-13′
  • Migos, Jamie Foxx, Drake Channel ‘Soul Train’ In New Music Video

GET THE HOTTEST STORIES STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX:

Close

Thank you for subscribing! Please be sure to open and click your first newsletter so we can confirm your subscription.

…read more

Two Injured In New Bombing In Austin

March 19, 2018 bcic_admin 0

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — At least two people were injured in another explosion in Texas’ capital Sunday night, after three package bombs detonated earlier this month in other parts of the city and killed two people and injured two others.

Austin-Travis County Emergency Management Services tweeted that an explosion in southwest Austin had injured two men in their 20s who were hospitalized. There were preliminary reports of two possible explosions, but officials later tweeted that only one had been confirmed.

There was no immediate word on what caused the blast. Police blocked off the entrance to the suburban neighborhood where it occurred and urged people living nearby to stay in their homes.

A package bomb exploded at an east Austin home on March 2, killing a 39-year-old man. Two package bombs in other parts of the city exploded March 12, killing a 17-year-old, wounding his mother and injuring a 75-year-old woman.

The latest explosion Sunday came hours after authorities raised the reward for information leading to the arrest of whoever is responsible for the first three explosions by $50,000 to now total $115,000.

Officials believe the earlier bombings are related and could be crimes of hatred, but have not ruled out any possible motive. Authorities have conducted 236 interviews in following up 435 leads.

READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:

  • Little Known Black History Fact: James and Lydia Sims
  • Two Injured In New Bombing In Austin
  • Aretha Franklin Forced To Cancel Concerts

GET THE HOTTEST STORIES STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX:

Close

Thank you for subscribing! Please be sure to open and click your first newsletter so we can confirm your subscription.
…read more

1 2 3 20