Kansas Woman Devastated By Racist Note: ‘This Neighborhood Doesn’t Need Any Blacks In It’

“I hope this never happens to anyone else,” Nancy Wirths, 49, said in an interview with KSNW.

Wirths lives in Wichita, Kansas and received a hateful note that lambasted her family for merely existing in a mostly White neighborhood. Wirth is also White, but has bi-racial grandchildren who frequently spend time at her home.

Out of her nine grandchildren, six are Black. Wirth says the attack shook her to her core and she fears for her family's safety.

The handwritten note, addressed to “resident,” began with the following:

“We have noticed there are some black children at your residence. Maybe you are running a daycare or these are your children. In either case, we have put our house for sale. This neighborhood does not need any blacks in it.”

Racist letter prompts investigation by Wichita Police Department https://t.co/pJK6Dt3UvY

— Chris Arnold (@ChrisArnoldKSN) August 25, 2016

The one page letter also goes so far to say that the writer was prompted to sell their house. “There is a reason for saying ‘The other side of the tracks.' That is where these people belong,” continued the hateful note.

Wirths says she is devastated and is trying to find the strength to raise her children with a spirit of inclusiveness and understanding.

“These are kids under the age of ten where me and their parents are trying to raise them, you have to love everybody, be friends with everybody. It doesn't matter if they're brown, purple,” she said. “It's just a shame that they have taken the innocence away from the children.

Police are still investigating the note and if found, the culprit could face a disorderly conduct charge, KSNW reports.

SOURCES: KSNW | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Twitter

...read more

Georgia Man Sentenced To 40 Years For Scalding Sleeping LGBT Couple

Jurors on Wednesday took only eight minutes to deliberate the case of Martin Blackwell, a 48-year-old Georgia man accused of pouring hot water over his girlfriend's son and his partner as they slept.

Blackwell was sentenced to 40 years in prison and found guilty of eight counts of aggravated battery and two counts of aggravated assault, according to CBS. The victims, Anthony Gooden and Marquez Tolbert, watched from the courtroom, still visibly nursing wounds from the May incident. Gooden is the son of Blackwell's girlfriend, Kim Foster.

According to CBS, on February 12, Blackwell walked into the room where Gooden and Tolbert slept and poured a large pot of boiling water over the men. Prosecution lawyers say that as Tolbert jumped up howling in pain, Blackwell grabbed him saying, “get out of my house with all that gay.”

Lawyers for Blackwell acknowledge that he in fact commit the act, but say that his gesture did not come from a place of hate, rather saying Blackwell felt “disrespected” by the men's relationship.

“It's not about hate. It's about old-school culture, old-school thinking,” Monique Walker, Blackwell's attorney, told the jury.

The prosecution countered saying that Blackwell premeditated the full the extent of his actions. The prosecution also alleged that Blackwell often made offensive comments in the household, asking personal questions about sex, using derogatory names.

Both of them men told their horrific story of recovery. Gooden said he spent almost one month in the hospital–two of the weeks he was in a medically induced coma. Tolbert said he spent a total of 10 days hospitalized. They both suffered severe burns and required skin repair surgeries using skin grafts.

CBS reports that Georgia doesn't have a hate crime law, but the FBI launched a hate crime investigation, regarding the incident, in March.

SOURCES: CBS, Atlanta ...read more

Man Gets House Arrest For Trying To Extort Ex-Football Star

AKRON, Ohio (AP) — A quadriplegic man who admitted to trying to extort money from former Ohio State star and NFL player Christopher “Beanie” Wells has been sentenced to a year of house arrest after a judge concluded that imprisoning the defendant would be too costly for taxpayers.

Cleveland.com reports the judge on Wednesday told 29-year-old Patrick Griffin, of Akron, that he could still be sent to prison if he violates her terms. Griffin also was ordered to donate $10,000 to a charity.

Griffin says he understands that his condition doesn't make him immune from consequences.

Griffin had pleaded guilty to Hobbs Act extortion. Prosecutors say he and a co-defendant tried to force Wells to pay them tens of thousands of dollars after Wells' brother set up a drug deal where they lost money.

Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.

(Photo Source: Summit County Sherrif's Office)

...read more

Indiana Cops Shoot Black Man In His Driveway After He Dials 911

Police say they have questions after a Black Indianapolis man was shot by police in the driveway of his home, The Indianapolis Star reports.

Due to department protocol, the Indianapolis Internal Affairs Unit and the Critical Incident Response Team have launched two separate investigations into the shooting, and the officer involved has been placed on administrative leave during the investigation's duration.

Forty-eight-year-old Carl Williams sustained a gunshot to the stomach and is expected to survive. Everything began Tuesday when Williams made a frantic call to police at 4:34 a.m. pleading for help after his wife said she was robbed by gunpoint where her car keys were stolen.

While Williams was on the phone, officers were dispatched to his home according to WRTV who obtained the call recording. The call was frantic as Williams worked to calm his wife to relay the necessary information to the dispatcher.

Williams can be heard repeating, “It's Ok, It's Ok” to his emotional wife. Williams described the suspect as a Black man, wearing a red shirt and wearing a rifle.

The dispatcher told officers that the suspect in question was last seen in a black car at the home. At the end of the call, Williams can be heard saying, “Is that him?,” as the call abruptly ends. The Star reports dispatchers attempted to reconnect but were unsuccessful.

Officers say when they arrived, they saw a black car parked in the driveway with the lights on and contend they were unaware that was the actual car in question. Police then took cover and ran the license plates through their system.

As they prepared to approach the garage door opened and Williams walked outside with a gun, police say. An officer fired one shot once in the stomach. Officer Christopher Mills, a nine-year veteran, was eventually identified as the ...read more

19-Year-Old Georgia Mom Arrested After Leaving Toddler In Car To Take Nursing Exam

Destyni Triplett, a 19-year-old Georgia mom, was arrested last week and charged with reckless conduct after leaving her 18-month-old son alone in an unlocked, running car while she took a nursing exam, reports Atlanta's 11 Alive.

Sandy Springs, Georgia police were alerted after a security guard spotted the unattended child, who had been crying for 15 minutes inside of a vehicle in the parking lot of the Chamberlain School of Nursing.

The boy, who was wearing pajamas and strapped into a car seat, appeared to be OK, according to a police report. The report also noted, the temperature outside was 74 degrees, the running vehicle's air conditioner was on and the keys had been left in the ignition.

Triplett, who told police she regretted the decision, told officials her babysitter bailed at the last minute. The teen added that the child's father was supposed to show up to watch the toddler, but failed to do so and she believed she was left without a choice.

According to Sandy Springs police Sgt. Forrest Bohannon, Triplett should count herself as one of the lucky few that her child is unharmed.

Anything could have happened. It was a dangerous situation for the child to be left alone at a year and a half in the vehicle,” Bohannon told WSB-TV.

Despite the arrest, the child was not handed over to authorities and remains with Triplett.

A GoFundMe page raised $250 of a $500 goal to help Triplett pay daycare expenses.

SOURCE: 11 Alive, WSB-TV | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty

...read more

[NSFW] Texas College Students Rally Against Gun Law With Sex Toys

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Hundreds of University of Texas students waved sex toys at a campus rally during the first day of classes, protesting a new state law that allows concealed handguns in college classrooms, buildings and dorms.

Organizers said the sex toys were used Wednesday to mock what they consider an absurd notion that guns should be allowed in academic settings. The law took effect Aug. 1.

Students and faculty at the Austin campus fiercely opposed allowing license holders to carry their concealed handguns to class. One prominent dean left the school after the law passed in 2015. Several faculty members attended the rally.

Organizers said they distributed more than 4,500 free sex toys.

Texas has allowed concealed carry since 1995 but had kept college campuses gun-free until this year.

Fair or foul?

Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.

(Photo Source: Dallas Morning News Facebook)

...read more

Q&A: Mayor Walsh talks on housing, police hiring, body cams & schools

Bay State Banner reporters sat down with Mayor Martin Walsh to discuss diversity in policing, body cameras, affordable housing and next year's Boston Public School budget outlook. ...read more

After struggles, HiSET attainment and a brighter future

Naomie Charles' prospects have come a long way in two years. With the help of College Bound Dorchester, Charles achieved high school equivalency and will enroll in college this fall. ...read more

Dallas Police Shooter Showed Signs Of PTSD

The Army reservist who killed five Dallas police officers last month showed symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder after returning home from Afghanistan in 2014, but doctors concluded that he presented no serious risk to himself or others, according to newly released documents from the Veterans Health Administration.

Micah Johnson had sought treatment for anxiety, depression and hallucinations, telling doctors that he experienced nightmares after witnessing fellow soldiers getting blown in half. He also said he heard voices and mortars exploding, according to the documents obtained by The Associated Press under the Freedom of Information Act.

“I try to block those out, but it is kinda hard to forget,” Johnson told his care provider, according to the documents.

Johnson, 25, was the sniper who targeted the officers at the conclusion of a peaceful march July 7 in downtown Dallas, where demonstrators were protesting fatal police shootings in Minnesota and Louisiana. Armed with an assault rifle, he took multiple positions as he fired. Hours later, authorities used a bomb-carrying robot to kill him.

During his deployment, Johnson was largely confined to base in an area of Afghanistan that had seen heavy combat but that was relatively quiet when his unit arrived in November 2013, according to his former squad leader.

Upon his return to the U.S. nine months later, Johnson told doctors he was experiencing panic attacks a few times a week, including once while at Wal-Mart, where there was an unspecified conflict that required a police response, the records said.

“Veteran states hearing all the noises, fights and police intervening caused him to have palpitations, ‘My heart felt like someone was pinching it while it was beating fast,'” the records state. Johnson said he began shaking, felt short of breath and got chills following the Wal-Mart incident.

The records do not show that Johnson was formally diagnosed ...read more